When you’re searching for the best dentist in Toronto, making an informed choice can be overwhelming with all the different options available.
Having routine dental checkups in your dentist’s office is crucial in keeping your teeth, mouth, and gums healthy and safe from dental diseases.
Dental care is also an essential part of your overall well-being. Poor dental health can lead to other health conditions and affect your self-confidence. After all, you want to show the most beautiful smile possible, don’t you?
Here’s how you can start looking for the best dentist in Toronto for you and your family’s needs:
- Seek personal referrals: You listen to your friends, family, and coworkers for recommendations on restaurants. Why wouldn’t you rely on them to recommend a potential dentist? Ask the people you trust about their dentist, what they like and don’t like and how the dentist and dental hygienists in the office make them feel.
- Ask for professional recommendations: If you’re seeking a new dentist because you’re moving, ask your current dentist to recommend a dentist in your new location. You can also ask your family doctor or other healthcare provider if they know anyone who would be a great fit. Both these healthcare professionals are very familiar with your needs as a patient. They may be able to recommend the perfect dental professional.
- Perform a Google search: Performing a quick Google search will give you a list of dentists to consider. You can then narrow the list down using the criteria below.
- Read Google reviews: Google reviews are great ways to get quick glimpses from actual patients into how the dentist operates. You can quickly learn about wait times in the office, the communication skills of the dental team, and more. Pay particular attention to recurring themes in the patient reviews, both good and bad.
- Office location: It’s always great to have a dentist located in your vicinity, whether the office is close to your home, work, or other location. Having to travel to an inconvenient or faraway destination won’t make for a great overall dental experience. Plus, being close to the dentist means less temptation to cancel your appointment.
- Hours of operation: Look for a dental practice whose office hours are convenient for you and your family. Many dentists also allow you to make Saturday appointments if you can’t make it during the week.
- Emergency services: Not all dental practices in Toronto offer emergency dental services, especially in the suburbs. However, your prospective dentist should have a dental emergency number available to a clinic that offers 24/7 if you need urgent care.
- Kids dental services: If you have children (or are planning to), it’s often preferable to find a dentist that can treat your whole family. This will save you years of extra trips taking your children to a different pediatric dentist’s office. A dental practice that offers both pediatric and adult dental care should be near or at the top of your list.
- Variety of services: If you need treatment from a specialist, such as an endodontist, periodontist, or oral surgeon, it might be more convenient for you find an dentist that has in-office specialists. Check to see if the dental office you’re considering offers this, so you don’t have to juggle multiple dentists, appointments, and bills.
- COVID-19 protocols: These days, it’s imperative to consider any health and safety policies and procedures that the dentist has in place in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Be sure to review their COVID-19 page to ensure that you’ll be comfortable when visiting their office.
- Office comfort: Before making a dental appointment, visit the dental practice you’re considering in person so you can get a sense of what being a patient there might be like. While there, be sure to gauge:
- Reception area: First impressions are lasting impressions, which is why your experience in the waiting room sets the tone for the rest of your visit. If you find the office clean, organized, and comfortable, you’re off to a good start.
- Staff friendliness: The reception staff serves as the dentist’s frontline in terms of making you feel welcome. Here are some questions you can ask the dental staff to see if the dental office is a good fit for your needs:
- What is your appointment cancellation policy?
- Do you bill my dental insurance company directly?
- Which dental school did the dentist graduate from?
- What’s the dentist’s approach to preventive dentistry?
- While engaging with the staff, take note if they answered your questions with patience, interest, and in a way you understand.
- Waiting times: Is the reception area crowded, or do patients seem to be waiting for a long time before getting called in? Ask the receptionist what the typical wait time in the reception area is.
- Dental hygienists: Most dental offices in Toronto have dental hygienists who greet the patient before escorting them into the examination room to start the appointment. Paying attention to their demeanour with patients will give you a sense of the office’s approach to patient care.
At your first appointment, be sure to ask both the dental hygienist and dentist lots of questions. Take advantage of this opportunity to create a rapport with them and build a long-lasting relationship built on trust.
Your dental team isn’t just your partners in oral health. They take a keen interest in your overall well-being by ensuring your teeth, gums, and mouth are as healthy as possible.
If you’re looking for family dentistry in Toronto, give us a call. We’d love to talk to you about how we can help you and your family achieve the smile of your dreams!
Are you looking for a new family dentist in Toronto?
Try Yonge Eglinton Dental! We’re always ready to welcome new patients at Yonge Eglinton Dental. Our dentistry team will help you learn more about our preventative, restorative, and cosmetic dentistry services that will help your teeth and gums stay healthy and look beautiful.
Concerned about visiting the dentist? Read about how we protect the health and safety of our patients and staff so your family can seek proper dental care with peace of mind.