Invisalign treatments is an alternative to braces. It is a clear plastic tray you wear in your mouth that gently moves your teeth into a new position. Invisalign trays are custom-made for your mouth and are generally worn for one to two weeks at a time. You will usually wear your Invisalign pieces for between six months and one year.
Over 6 million people around the world have benefited from Invisalign treatments since 1997 when the company was founded, including over 1 million teenagers.
The benefits of Invisalign
- Confidence: Invisalign’s effectiveness at improving tooth control and movement is clinically proven
- Ease: Invisalign trays are simple to put on and take off.
- Multi-use: Invisalign is designed to treat a wide range of conditions that could cause teeth to misalign.
- Inconspicuousness: Invisalign pieces are almost invisible and virtually impossible to notice.
- Comfort: Invisalign trays are smooth, comfortable and removable. You can easily take them out to brush, floss and eat.
- Convenient: Invisalign treatment is ideal for a busy schedule, check-in visits are quick, painless, and in some cases only required once every 6-8 weeks.
What Invisalign corrects
- Overcrowding: When you do not have the space in your arches for your teeth to align normally in your mouth, they can become crooked. This can increase the likelihood of tooth decay, lead to gum disease, and impact the aesthetics of your smile.
- Gaps between teeth: These gaps expose the gum line to bacteria, which can lead to gingivitis and early onset gum disease.
- Crossbite: This is a common issue that happens when the upper teeth bite inside the lower teeth.
- Overbite/underbite: When the upper or lower teeth are sticking out further than their counterparts or covering them completely.
The Invisalign process
The process begins with a 3D digital scan of your teeth and jaws. This allows your dentist to see your jaw from different viewpoints, decide how long you will need to wear your Invisalign trays and plan out what your smile and face will look like once the treatment is complete.
After that, they will send the results to Invisalign who will create a custom set of trays which will gently move your teeth in a specific direction.
It will take you a few days or weeks to get used to them but eventually you will not notice that they are there. They should be removed before eating and drinking because food can become trapped between the tray and the teeth, which can lead to tooth decay. When you are not eating or drinking, you should keep the Invisalign trays in your mouth. Invisalign treatments recommend wearing your trays for at least 20 hours a day.
Invisalign Q & A
No evidence exists to show that one is more effective than the other. However, plenty of anecdotal evidence suggests that Invisalign trays are more comfortable, more convenient and provide better aesthetics than traditional braces.
Yes. Invisalign trays will not impede your active lifestyle. If you are playing a sport that requires a mouth guard you can choose to remove your Invisalign trays, but it is not necessary to do so.
No, because the trays are customized to fit the exact shape of your mouth, your speech should not be impacted. After a few weeks, you will not even realize that you are wearing them.
Officially no, because they are considered a medical product and medical products are not recyclable. However, the plastic they are made from is recyclable.
Yes. Many alternatives exist but at Yonge Eglinton Dental we exclusively chose Invisalign for our patients due to its efficacy and long history of producing superior results.
Yes. This is known as Phase 1 treatment and it is commonly recommended for children who show early signs of misalignment. A Phase 1 Invisalign treatment can prepare a child’s mouth for the eventual eruption of adult teeth and ensure they come in properly.
The cost of an Invisalign treatment will depend on how many teeth are being treated and the duration of treatment. Following an assessment your dentist will be able to give you an estimate on the cost of treatment which can be sent to your insurer to determine the extent of coverage under your dental plan.
Interested in Invisalign?
Book an Invisalign treatment appointment with Yonge Eglinton Dental.