- Correct yellow teeth with whitening treatments
- Create a picture-perfect smile with veneers
- What about a full smile makeover?
- Which smile restoration procedure is right for me?
Teeth naturally lose their shine over time. They can become dark and discoloured by certain foods, drinks, and medications, or through habits such as smoking or vaping. Teeth can also lose their whiteness through the natural course of aging.
In some cases, the white enamel shell on our teeth can thin out, exposing the yellowish dentin underneath.
Fortunately, there are three safe and effective procedures that can help restore your teeth to a bright, beautiful lustre: tooth whitening treatments, veneers, and full smile makeovers.
Correct yellow teeth with whitening treatments
Tooth whitening kits can be found in most pharmacies, drug stores, and department stores. However, these do-it-yourself remedies sometimes make exaggerated claims and promises and can leave you with disappointing results.
Visiting your dentist for a whitening treatment will give you better, safer results that last longer. You’ll also be under the safe supervision of a dental professional, who can apply the treatment evenly and ensure that your enamel, gums, or any dental work will be unaffected by the procedure.
Here’s how whitening treatments in your dental office work:
- The dentist or dental hygienist applies a bleaching gel made of carbamide peroxide or hydrogen peroxide to the front surface of your teeth
- A bright curing light is used to activate the bleaching agent
- The gel is left on your teeth for between 45 and 60 minutes before being removed
- Your teeth might feel tingly or sensitive just after the treatment, but those sensations will subside after a short period of time.
As long as you regularly maintain the results with the at-home trays provided by your dentist and practice a proper dental hygiene routine that includes brushing, flossing, and getting regular dental check-ups, you may never need to repeat the whitening treatment.
Create a picture-perfect smile with veneers
Ever wonder how your favourite Hollywood celebrities seem to have perfectly white smiles every time the camera captures them? Many of them have had veneers attached to their teeth.
Veneers are thin shells resembling teeth that are attached to the surface of your existing teeth. They’re the perfect solution for teeth that are discoloured, chipped, uneven, or broken. They can even be used to even out gaps between your teeth and give you that beautiful Oscar-winning smile.
Two types of veneers are available: porcelain and composite resin.
Porcelain veneers: Veneers made from porcelain are stronger and less prone to staining than composite resin veneers. However, unlike composite resin veneers, porcelain veneers take more than one visit to complete the procedure.
Here are the steps involved with getting porcelain veneers:
- A thin layer of the enamel from your teeth (sometimes less than ½ millimeter) is removed from the teeth where the veneers will be attached
- A mold is made of your teeth for the custom-designing of your veneers
- Your dentist makes a temporary veneer and attaches it to your teeth to replace the enamel while your permanent veneers are being made
- When your permanent veneers are ready, your return to your dentist’s office
- Your dentist replaces the temporary veneers with your permanent veneers
Composite resin veneers: This type of veneers can be attached in one visit for fast, great-looking results. The steps to get composite resin veneers are:
- Your dentist prepares the tooth for the placement of the veneer
- You choose a composite resin colour that matches the rest of the teeth in your mouth
- Your dentist layers the resin onto your teeth
- The resin is formed into the shape of a tooth
- Your dentist polishes and smooths the attached veneer so it looks completely natural
What about a full smile makeover?
A full smile makeover (or dental makeover) is another effective way to restore your smile.
Full smile makeovers combine a wide range of cosmetic dental procedures, depending on your individual needs. The procedures in a typical dental makeover can include:
Your dentist will take an impression of your teeth and make various measurements to help assess the best treatment plan that will restore your smile. In some cases, a full smile makeover can be done in a single visit. However, the more involved procedures may require multiple visits before the makeover is complete. Depending on the number of different treatments involved, your smile makeover will be done in a single visit or multiple visits. Your dentist will be able to give you a detailed smile makeover plan so you’ll know what to expect.
Which smile restoration procedure is right for me?
You might not be sure which approach is right for you. Fortunately, your dentist can help by looking at your teeth, answering all of your questions, and working on a treatment plan that will restore your smile. Remember, your dentist is your trusted partner in maintaining optimal dental health, functionality, and aesthetics. If you’re unhappy with how your mouth looks, make an appointment with Yonge-Eglinton Dental today. We’ll help you get the dazzling smile you’ve always dreamed of so you’ll never shy away from a camera again!
Get dental procedures that improve your smile at Yonge Eglinton Dental in Toronto
Wondering which dental procedures will give you the bright, beautiful smile you deserve? Talk to the dental professionals at Yonge Eglinton Dental. We focus on making sure your teeth not only look great but are also as strong and healthy as possible. Make an appointment for an office visit today by calling our office at 416-932-2222 or booking online. We look forward to seeing you!
Are you concerned about visiting the dentist? Read about how we protect the health and safety of our patients and staff so your family can seek proper dental care with peace of mind.